Tuesday, March 4, 2008

"Made it Through Today"

As some of you may know, one of my all time favorite artists is Keith Urban.  I was going through some old songs and playing guitar and found myself playing this song tonight and after thinking about it, realized that it's the perfect sentiment for my life at the moment.  Constantly I'm asked how I'm doing.  When I think about it, there's really not a good answer.  The replies that run through my mind are usually a little less than polite because my frustration with this entire situation is getting to me.  However, the real answer each day is that I'm grateful to God for getting me through the day which is truly a blessing.  Here are a few passages from the song:

As I turn out the lights
And bow my head to pray
The answered prayer I'm thankful for
Is I made it though today

Now I'm not trying to change the world
I'm just trying to find my way
And I stumble now and then
But I made it through today

The deep and honest truth is that my life at this point consists of understanding and perseverance.  Understanding that while my life at the current moment consists of pain and trouble doing the everyday activities, I still have a life worth being thankful for.  I have a girlfriend who is a rock in my life and without her, I wouldn't be as strong and happy.  She's made me realize that no matter how bad some parts of life can get, there's always something else that can keep a smile on my face.  I thank God for her everyday.  My students who have worked incredibly hard and have come from a group of fighting individuals to become a community.  They have all pushed themselves and continue to push themselves to do better which is all that I ask.   I ask them to be the best they can be and they've helped me apply that to my life.  My family who has been here through it all and I can't be grateful enough for them either.   

I may stumble now and again and I'm certainly going to have my moments of pure anger and frustration but I will always thank God that "I made it through today".


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your love, gratitude, and commitment to prayer is awe inspiring, Shawn. Lovely post.

Sheri said...

I am so awed by you, Shawn. You are just too incredible for words.

Dave said...

Your wisdom and maturity are astonishing.

Dave said...

PS. A special thanks to Arie for all that she has done to lift your spirits during this trying time.

Anonymous said...

Shawn, when you said, "The replies that run through my mind are usually a little less than polite because my frustration with this entire situation is getting to me. However, the real answer each day is that I'm grateful to God for getting me through the day which is truly a blessing," reminded me so much of you I could just hear you say it. It also reminded me of your dad who would often deal with adverse situations with that "a little less than polite remark" to ease the tension. But, all in all it comes right down to exactly what you said--it's a blessing to be alive.

Without a doubt, you are on our mind almost 24/7. We wish you the best in the next week. You will perservere. I only wish we could be there to assist in some way, even to humor you if we could.

Hans and cathy