Wednesday, January 30, 2008

An email I just have to share...

I mentioned last week that Shawn got an email that really picked him up. In high school, Shawn was on the board of our temple's youth group for a couple of years. The email was from the youth group's advisor. I was going to put part of it on this blog, but in reading it again I can't think of what part to cut, so here it is in its entirety:


Shawn, I wanted you to know how proud I am of you and the way you have been handling everything.  As hard as it's been for me to deal with, I can't even imagine the toll it's taking on you.  The unfairness of the situation is horribly compounded by your place in life...the freshman year of college should be about new beginnings, exploration and discovery.  How sad I am that this has been so disrupted for you and your family.
 
However, through it all, you have behaved with grace, courage and wisdom, when you could have responded with anger, impatience and denial.  I know the latter isn't your way, despite your insighful and realistic perspectives on life and your wicked sarcasm.
 
Working with teenagers has always been a sort of love affair for me.  I love seeing the growth you all experience and hope that I can, in some small way, teach you some of the things I have learned.  In this case, however, it is you who are teaching me and I am grateful for that and always will be.
 
You are my rock, and I love you for it.  As I've said many times, and meant it every time, I (we!) are here for you in what ever way you need.  If you want me by your side for any part of this, just say the word and I will be there to hold your hand, to pray with you or just to tell you really good jokes (the only kind I know, despite what Amy says).
 
All the best, my brother.  You are in all of our thoughts and prayers and I have faith that you will pass this test as you have so many before this.
 
PS--Make sure you hug your mom a few hundred times a day...she really deserves it, and you'll feel good too.


OK perhaps I'm just partial to the PS... :-)

No comments: