Monday, April 6, 2009

Back in Bloomington for the week

Dave and I are back in Bloomington for the week; we will be holding a seder at Shawn's appartment on Wednesday.  We decided to come a few days early so that we could attend Shawn's support group with him tonight.  (Also, I had enough reward points at Marriott to get three free days here, so I figured I'd work from the hotel for a few days before taking some vacation days for the rest of the week.)  

I'm very glad we came when we did.  When we got here last night, one look at Shawn's incision was enough to tell that it had become infected.  He said he thought it was just the way it was scabbing over, but it certainly did not look at all right to me, not to mention he had a low grade fever!  So first thing this morning, he went to the IU clinic where he spent about three hours - they took lots of vials of blood for tests, called both his surgeon and endocrinologist in Chicago, took an x-ray, took a second x-ray, cleaned up the wound, gave him antibiotics, and he has an appointment to come back tomorrow.   There was initially some worry about whether it had gone into the bone, but at least initial results look good.

Finally left there in early afternoon, we had lunch and then went to his support group, which was a wonderful way to end a harrowing day.  I'm so grateful to all the people there, it's been a huge help to Shawn and a huge relief to me knowing all these wonderful people are there to help support him.  

No comments: