Tuesday, March 3, 2009

a heart stopping moment

This morning I called to pre-certify Shawn's upcoming hospital stay with my insurance company. I'm talking to a very nice woman who is talking to me and typing in the information she needs. She asks me to verify his name and date of birth and I do. All the sudden she says "Oh my god". Then "oh, no, I don't believe this" and "oh my". At this point she's speechless and I'm thinking something has happened to my insurance, they've dropped Shawn from the policy, or there's some clerical error but can't be fixed in time for the surgery... my heart is quite literally in my throat. I think at this point as all these things are running through my mind I'm also holding my breath.

Finally she says "I have a son with the same name and almost the same age - and I live a block away from you in Oak Park!"

Once I peeled myself off the walls and started breathing again, we continued the call. She's only lived there about a year so I don't think the two Shawns know each other, but it certainly is a small small world.

2 comments:

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

Sheri, I'll be thinking about you tomorrow.

shmuel abba said...

Shawn & family: many will be praying for you ... ! Leonard & Family