Friday, April 1, 2011

Where We Are - a post by Shawn

Over the past few years, we've been on a diagnostic roller coaster that has lasted far too long. All throughout this time, we've had the mindset that if they could just diagnose this, everything would be better. A few weeks ago, I saw an oncologist in Bloomington and just left his office from a follow up an hour ago. As far as a diagnosis, he is confident in calling this carcincoid syndrome. However, here's the tricky part. Carcinoid syndrome is a paraneoplastic syndrome, which is, "a rare disorders that is triggered by an altered immune system response to cancer." But, treatment for carcinoid syndrome is purely symptomatic. Since carcinoids are wildly small in nature, they are very difficult to find so while my hormone levels associated with carcinoids are high, they don't know where the primary tumor is. I'm going to see an oncologist in Indianapolis for further insight but as of now, the we are no where near the conclusion of this drama.

For the time being, I'm going to do what I've been doing. I'm going to keep working on my degree and maintaining my optimism that some day, I can have a life that doesn't involve spending as much time with doctors as I do with friends.

1 comment:

Jeffrey, Amy and Sophie said...

It was great seeing you in NY...thanks for the fun stuff for Sophie...can't wait to see her in it!

Hope your cruise was enjoyable and that the effects linger!